(LONG TOPIC INFO) Help with 22km trail loop nominations Singleton, NSW

Hey guys. I do warn you before reading, this chat is going to be quite long. I do apologize in advance! I have dyslexia and struggle with big blocks of text. Because of this, could you please keep your reply short, simple, and easy to read? Thank you.

I have been working on this project for a couple of months now. I have spent a lot of time sourcing information and official maps and mapping all the different areas to get this 100% right.

I am preparing a few nominations for an active transport network in Singleton, NSW. Reviewers often reject pathways as generic sidewalks. I want your advice on my naming framework and text to ensure these pass the community review process.

The Background.

The Suburbs: Connects our northern residential areas of Singleton Heights and Hunterview.

The Main Hubs: Links these residential areas directly across the river to the main Singleton Township, civic areas, and local sports grounds.

The Named Paths: It physically links multiple named council paths: the Combo Lane pathway, Wilkinson Boulevard pathway, and Patrick Street pathway [Combo Lane to Wilkinson Boulevard Pedestrian and Cycling Bridge - Singleton Council].

The Total Distance: It combines all of these individual tracks into a single, continuous 22km shared pathway loop used for community exercise and recreation.

The Core Rule of the Track this 22km loop expands across multiple roads. It features multiple intersections where different pathways meet. Because each pathway takes you to a different location and loops back onto itself, crossing the road is a structural necessity. If you do not cross the road at these critical bottlenecks, you physically cannot finish any of the smaller loops or the main 22km loop. The entire circuit breaks down into dead ends if users cannot cross safely.

My Naming System Layout

Title, S.P.I.R.E. / C.O.W.A.C.T. — [Insert Specific Node Name]`
(Example: S.P.I.R.E. / C.O.W.A.C.T. — Maison Dieu Road Crossing)

Description: This designated location is part of the 22-kilometre S.P.I.R.E. (Singleton Pedestrian Interlinked Recreation & Exercise) network. It connects to C.O.W.A.C.T. (Council’s Official Walking and Cycling Tracks) to provide a continuous active transit corridor linking the residential districts to the main township.

Supporting Information: S.P.I.R.E. stands for Singleton Pedestrian Interlinked Recreation & Exercise. C.O.W.A.C.T. stands for Council’s Official Walking and Cycling Tracks. These official tracks and master maps can be verified directly on the Singleton Council website. This permanent asset is a critical connecting node required to keep the continuous flow and safety of the 22km exercise loop intact. It is completely off-road and safe for pedestrians.

Questions For The Community
1.Acronyms in Titles: Does leading with S.P.I.R.E. / C.O.W.A.C.T. look acceptable to you as reviewers, or do you get annoyed by acronym strings? Would putting the local path name first work better (e.g., “Combo Lane Shared Path — S.P.I.R.E. Network”) to make it look less automated?

2.Multi-Sided Crossings, Duplicates & Safe Access: For major intersections like Blaxland Avenue, there are separate safe path entry points on both sides of the road. Is it acceptable to nominate the western side marker and the eastern side marker as two separate Wayspots, or will reviewers mark them as duplicates of one another? If I only submit one side, how do I prove in my photos that a pedestrian refuge island or intersection crossing is a completely safe place for players to stand out of traffic, and will having unique road names in the titles be enough to stop false duplicate flags across a 22km loop?

3.Photo Anchors & Alternative Trail Nodes: Many crossing points are standard concrete. Should I focus the main photo purely on the official Australian black-and-white shared path signposts to act as the physical anchor? If a specific bottleneck doesn’t have a signpost yet, what is the best alternative to nominate it? Can I use things like pedestrian refuge island structures, textured yellow tactile ground pavers, or path intersection lines? Would alternative nodes like pedestrian underpasses, marker poles, or bridges work well if framed as the mandatory connectors keeping the 22km loop intact?

Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read through all this information. I truly appreciate you spending your time to help me out and review my plan.

I did a Google search and found that the website would not load any maps.

What do the trail markers look like – can you provide an example photo?

I have read through the Singleton Walking & Cycling Plan. This is not at all what I would describe as a trail. This is generic urban infrastructure

This is possibly because the community reviewers, as Australians who are used to Australian norms, view them as generic footpaths.

Based on what OP has written, referring to the “official black-and-white shared signposts”, they probably mean this.

I can only go based on your words as I have not seen the picture or individual nomination details, but based on what I am imagining when I read this, no, I would reject as generic infrastructure.

Yes, that is the sign I am talking about.
It is for the Singleton Shared Pathway and Cycleway Network, which is a continuous 22km interconnecting pathway running completely inside town.

It is a major piece of active transport infrastructure engineered specifically to connect our key residential areas—Hunterview, Singleton Heights, and Darlington—directly back to the town centre.
Some of this trail is still in development and will be finished mid-2027.

Out of the total 22km grid, the residential housing areas take up the largest portion with roughly 16km to 17km of walking and cycling shared pathways running through the neighborhoods.

These routes feature regulatory signs at the entrances and at various crossing points throughout the pathway.

In addition, the residential areas feature specific council signs for official parks that connect to the main trail network.

Dedicated shared pathway connector routes take up about 3.5km of the total footprint.

This includes the Maison Dieu Road Shared Pathway which is 1.5km to 2km, and the Combo Lane to Wilkinson Boulevard Link which is exactly 1.55km.

The remaining section belongs to official town trails and recreational walks, such as the Singleton Heritage Walk, which take up 2km.

The path connects by looping through the residential parks and major roads of Singleton Heights, running south to connect with the pathway on Wilkinson Boulevard in Hunterview.

From there, it connects through Col Fisher Park, crossing a 30-meter steel bridge over the creek and a 140-meter pedestrian suspension bridge over the Hunter River to Combo Lane, leading straight into the town centre.

From the town centre, the pathway extends east alongside primary connector roads, looping through neighborhood areas to connect directly to the residential zone of Darlington, completing the continuous loop across all the major suburbs

Each road crossing will have one of the 3 items. The yellow Pole road barrier, an official council sign or the Australian shared pathway sign some locations have multiple as shown in the photo

Ok, but based upon your provided information, where are the named/recognised trails/tracks? The council does not list these items, rather as a part of the wider network.

A network of pedestrian pathways is not the same as a recognised or named trail.

The picture and explanation you have provided, also does not show anything which distinguishes this as a recognised trail or track.

A council sign is only showing it is a council area/reserve space, the refuge island market is a roadways item, the shared path sign is a generic sign.

What you are explaining, and have prior experienced with reviews is that these are not recognised as distinct items. I will also say, putting a waypoint at centre refuge island would not be deemed safe, nor would it be at a decision making point?

Hi

Some specifics first

Visually for abbreviations it is better without full stops eg NCN for National Cycle Network is a better way to write an abbreviation than N.C.N. And I would keep abbreviated elements to the minimun eg

NCN 62 / TPT (which stands for National Cycle Network 62 / Trans Pennine Trail ) is unnecessary one element would be fine in a title.

*Edited to make this a more obviously generic point

Generic signs like those shown, will be in use on any walkable path so are not distinctive to any special. Any signage used must be identifiable to a specific named route.

Broader points

Metropolitan areas are developing active walking plans to promote a better environment and better health. These often have as part of the plan diagrams of safe routes.

These routes get attention to ensuring the infrastructure is good

  • crossing points are safe, dropped kerbs, pavements in good conditions, well lit

The make getting to trains, buses, trams easy.

This network does not make them specific named trails to follow. They make walking around easier.
So they are not eligible as wayspots.

That will be disappointing as you have clearly being doing the right thing by doing research first.

It is also good that you have sought advice here before going any further.

To clarify, S.P.I.R.E. stands for the Singleton Pedestrian Interlinked Recreation & Exercise network, and C.O.W.A.C.T. identifies parts of the Council’s Official Walking and Cycling Tracks. Since the 22km pathway loop does not have one official name, it uses these split acronyms as titles to define the network connecting the township to the residential areas.

Regarding the nomination details, the waypoint is not located on the center refuge island; instead, it is placed securely on the side of the pathway where the official shared path and council signs are situated. As a safety priority, I will never place a waypoint on a road at all, which is why it is situated on the dedicated shared pathway.

The continuous 22km active-transport loop is engineered specifically to connect our key residential areas—Hunterview, Singleton Heights, and Darlington—directly back to the town centre.

If the official signs are classified as general infrastructure and will be rejected, should I just pass on mapping out this shared pathway? I ask because I have nominated and gone through this process before, and my reserve crossing nomination with this exact shared pathway sign was just successfully accepted and submitted only one week ago. If that is the case, is one of these nominations being approved a good sign and I should continue on with mapping out my shared pathway, or should I just pass on it? I appreciate your time and your advice on explaining this to me

That hoot is the approved main photo

The UK has similar signs

I see these in review and vote reject.

I see sometimes that some may have been accepted. We sometimes see reviewers make mistakes especially when these are misrepresented as being trail signs.

They can be reported for removal.

So the old adage in Wayfarer of seeing something on the map does not make something acceptable.

I can see you have put a lot of work in and that you are very keen to provide new wayspots for the community but this is not acceptable.

To avoid further frustration stop now, and put your energy into exploring to find things that meet the criteria.

These are super common and generic in Australia.
They’re not trail markers and the other comments above are 100% on their “generic-ness”.
I reject these as Not Permanent or Distinct every time I see them.

With all respect and care, please stop so you don’t waste any more time on it.

I’m requesting information instead of just nomations these not harm in that and if sorry you wasted your time. if it only wasting your time you didn’t have to reply but thank for your input :joy::joy:

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge on this, it really helps clarify things. To be honest, I have already nominated everything possible within the reserves in these residential areas, which unfortunately isn’t very much across those couple of cells. I was mostly just trying to build up cell density and activate those cells for Dynamax Power Spots instead, since the residential neighborhoods are so low on nominations compared to the main town area which already has a heap of them. I appreciate the advice and will definitely hold off on submitting any more of these pathway markers!

Out of curiosity, if a playground is large enough to expand across multiple S17 cells, and each cell contains a unique piece of equipment (like the swings in one cell and the climbing frame in another), can those different parts be nominated separately for each cell, or is a playground classified as one single POI if it’s all interconnected?

Since these residential reserve areas are so empty, that feels like the only real way to try and build up density for Dynamax Power Spots out here. I’d love to know the official ruling on this specific scenario so I don’t waste any future submissions. Thanks again for the help!

I apologize if this come across sounding rude in any way and I appreciate your information.

I understand that when you look at some areas that are dense with wayspots the gut reaction is

I want where I live to be like that. It’s natural.

As Wayfinders we can help to improve places. However the hard truth that each of us comes up against is that the natural world is highly varied and some areas are just not going to have places that are suitable.

Residential areas in suburbs are often simply street after street of densely packed houses. And it often seems amenities such as play spaces or nice green areas for nature are the little nuggets of communal space.

The urban planning makes it this way.

It is better to come to terms with I have done all I can here and perhaps turn your attention to the places that you go to that have got more potential to see if these can be developed by finding things that might have been missed.

Playgrounds are specifically covered in the criteria clarifications in Playgrounds

If you have a particular case you are uncertain of please show it so we can make specific comments

All good mate.
I meant for you to not waste your time - it can be frustrating to put in heaps of effort and not get the results you want out of it.

I’ve already spent way too much time on researching information just for this discussion but thanks

I appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge on this discussion I appreciate all your time and efforts when you didn’t need to share anything at all I appreciate it heaps