Your Honest Opinion

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some honest community opinions on a few types of nominations I’ve come across while reviewing and nominating.

I’m NOT looking for official Niantic rulings here, and I’m not trying to prove whether something is officially eligible or ineligible. I’m more curious about how you personally look at these situations when they come across your review screen.

  1. Trail Marker-
    Named, numbered, or directional markers along an established hiking trail. Do you generally see these as good Wayspot candidates?

  2. Apartment Complex Entrance Signs-
    A sign displaying the name of an apartment complex, especially one located near the road or driveway entrance.

  3. Subdivision / Neighborhood Entrance Signs-
    Similar idea, but for a named subdivision or neighborhood. Does the design or uniqueness of the sign change your opinion?

  4. Individual Disc Golf Holes-
    A disc golf basket or individual hole on an established disc golf course.

  5. Disc Golf Course Entrance Signs or Maps-
    The main course sign, map, rules board, or starting area rather than the individual holes.

  6. Individual Golf Course Holes-
    Tee markers, hole signs, or other identifying features for individual holes on a traditional golf course.

  7. Golf Course Entrance Signs-
    A sign identifying the golf course itself.

  8. Pictures or Artwork Inside Stores-
    Framed artwork, photographs, paintings, or decorative displays located inside a store or business.

  9. Murals Inside Businesses-
    A large mural painted directly onto the wall inside a restaurant, store, brewery, etc.

  10. Murals on the Outside of Businesses-
    Exterior murals or artwork on privately owned businesses.

  11. Historical Photos Inside Businesses-
    Old photographs or displays showing the history of the building, town, business, or surrounding area.

  12. Unique Business Signs-
    A local business sign that has a genuinely artistic, unusual, handcrafted, or visually interesting design rather than just a normal company logo.

  13. Generic Community Entrance Signs-
    Something like “Welcome to _____” or the name of a community without much artwork, historical information, or anything particularly unique about it.

  14. Park Rules / Information Boards-
    Boards showing park information, rules, history, wildlife information, or other educational material.

  15. Trail Maps-
    Maps located at trailheads or along trail systems showing routes, landmarks, or points of interest.

  16. Little Free Libraries-
    Assuming they’re permanently installed and safely accessible, how do you normally feel about these, in a public area or on someone’s lawn.

  17. Community Bulletin Boards-
    Public bulletin boards at parks, community centers, neighborhoods, campgrounds, churches, etc.

  18. Gazebos / Pavilions-
    Gathering structures in parks, public areas, campgrounds, apartment complexes, or similar places.

  19. Memorial Benches-
    Do you generally consider the bench itself enough, or does the person being memorialized need some kind of local significance for you?

  20. Unique Playground Equipment-
    Not the playground as a whole, but an individual unusual feature such as a giant climbing structure, themed play piece, sculpture-like playground feature, etc.

Again not looking for official ruling just your thoughts.

Have an awesome super terrific day.

Thank you,

Ditto

Mod note: removed the off-topic flashing gif - thanks for the understanding.

Wow that’s a lot in 1 post

It would help if you had some specific examples really vs such an enormously long list, but in general, thjnk about if this is a good place socialise, exercise, or explore/learn

I do know that individual golf and disc golf holes aren’t considered distinct so its just the course and clubhouse that is to be nominated.

Agree with @frealafgb - you’re asking for a very, very long essay from people here if you want them to address all of your 20 points, and that essay is not really possible anyway since every single review in Wayfarer is assessed on its own merits, without categorical eligibility and without blanket rules, but rooted in the criteria cited.

It would really help if you picked a specific type that is the most confusing or pressing and provided the examples that make you doubt.

Some of your items are addressed by the Criteria Clarification Collection - while also not a set of blanket rules, it contains a lot of useful examples and caveats. I appreciate you are asking for community opinion, but sharing in case you are not familiar with this collection, as there isn’t much of a point in making people write out the ineligibility of disc golf baskets since it’s likely to be rooted in those guidelines.

  1. Trail Marker - generally yes, as long as it’s a real trail
  2. Apartment Complex Entrance Signs - only if unique art
  3. Subdivision / Neighborhood Entrance Signs - only if unique art
  4. Individual Disc Golf Holes - Definitely not as this has been clarified by Scopely Explore
  5. Disc Golf Course Entrance Signs or Maps - as one wayspot for the course
  6. Individual Golf Course Holes - Definitely not as this has been clarified by Scopely Explore
  7. Golf Course Entrance Signs - as one wayspot for the course
  8. Pictures or Artwork Inside Stores - rarely, possible only if unique art
  9. Murals Inside Businesses - sometimes, if unique art
    10.Murals on the Outside of Businesses - almost always
  10. Historical Photos Inside Businesses - probably
  11. Unique Business Signs - sometimes
  12. Generic Community Entrance Signs - No
  13. Park Rules - only as a proxy for the park
  14. Educational Information Boards - yes
  15. Trail Maps - Yes
  16. Little Free Libraries - yes unless on someone’s lawn (etc) and real (not just for Pogo)
  17. Community Bulletin Boards - yes
  18. Gazebos / Pavilions - yes
  19. Memorial Benches - rarely
  20. Unique Playground Equipment - no

Not asking for everyone to answer everything. Could see how that would be intimating.

Just trying to spark discussion and get the communitys opinion.

I agree mostly with @salixsorbus 's list so I will pinch his and make some added comments. As stated above, these are not my opinion on the criteria just “Do I Like These or Not”.

  1. Trail Marker - generally yes, as long as it’s a real trail Would prefer if restricted to Start, Finish and Information Boards
  2. Apartment Complex Entrance Signs - only if unique art :white_check_mark:
  3. Subdivision / Neighborhood Entrance Signs - only if unique art :white_check_mark:
  4. Individual Disc Golf Holes - Definitely not as this has been clarified by Scopely Explore No, again I prefer not having bunches of the same type of wayspot
  5. Disc Golf Course Entrance Signs or Maps - as one wayspot for the course :white_check_mark:
  6. Individual Golf Course Holes - Definitely not as this has been clarified by Scopely Explore :white_check_mark:
  7. Golf Course Entrance Signs - as one wayspot for the course :white_check_mark:
  8. Pictures or Artwork Inside Stores - rarely, possible only if unique art :white_check_mark:
  9. Murals Inside Businesses - sometimes, if unique art :white_check_mark:
    10.Murals on the Outside of Businesses - almost always Only authorised Murals with evidence
  10. Historical Photos Inside Businesses - probably :white_check_mark:
  11. Unique Business Signs - sometimes :white_check_mark:
  12. Generic Community Entrance Signs - No :white_check_mark:
  13. Park Rules - only as a proxy for the park :white_check_mark:
  14. Educational Information Boards - yes :white_check_mark:
  15. Trail Maps - Yes :white_check_mark:
  16. Little Free Libraries - yes unless on someone’s lawn (etc) and real (not just for Pogo) :white_check_mark:
  17. Community Bulletin Boards - yes :white_check_mark:
  18. Gazebos / Pavilions - yes :white_check_mark:
  19. Memorial Benches - rarely :white_check_mark:
  20. Unique Playground Equipment - no :white_check_mark:

That ship has long sailed. Even before the clarification about PROWs, most of these were submitted and accepted in a wood in Sheffield (which are an excellent place to go walking).

Some of them aren’t trail markers or PROWs :wink:

I agree but that is talking Criteria and the OP was specifically requesting our own opinions.

I do Accept these but personal opinion is I would prefer a limit so " Start, Finish and Information Boards" would be my way of achieving this is I was making the rules… :slight_smile:

Trail Marker
If real, sure. They get about 15 seconds of consideration. If I’m not sure after that, I’ll skip. If there’s a link to a website showing it’s real, then it should be a dead cert, assuming no confounding factors.

Apartment Complex Entrance Sign
Not unless it has something unique to it. Is it a piece or art in itself? If just the usual ‘name on a plaque’, that gets a ‘not distinct’.

Subdivision / Neighborhood Entrance Signs
Same as previous.

Individual Disc Golf Holes
Absolutely not. Not safe and also repetitive. You wouldn’t sub individual golf holes, would you?

Disc Golf Course Entrance Signs or Maps-
Sure.

Individual Golf Course Holes
Heh, I should have read ahead. That’s a definite no. You would block the game and probably get a serious head injury

Golf Course Entrance Signs
Yes, although I would normally link that to the clubhouse itself.

Pictures or Artwork Inside Stores
If it can be shown that it isn’t just ‘corporate art’ (i.e. something that was commissioned in bulk).

Murals Inside Businesses
Providing the business isn’t against criteria, sure.

Murals on the Outside of Businesses
Pretty much a yes almost every time (excluding if the mural shows something dodgy or the mural quality is truly pants…)

Historical Photos Inside Businesses
Case-by-case. Probably?

Unique Business Signs
Again, if it isn’t corporate art, and it’s worth looking at, sure. I successfully subbed a hand-painted one for a cafe that included a mural of a teacup.

Generic Community Entrance Signs
I think we covered this back at no. 2/3?

Park Rules / Information Boards
They can be used as the anchor point for a park with no other signage, but certainly not in addition to the main waypoint for the park.

Trail Maps
Sure, although they often double as trail marker no.1.

Little Free Libraries
Okay, so this is one where I do disagree with the rules. Obviously on public land they are fine, but even when on single-family private property they are fully intended to be accessed by the public, and they are placed such that no-one needs to step onto that private land. I know the rules aren’t going to change and I will respect that and vote accordingly, but I do think this rule is overly avoidant of theoretical bad press that simply isn’t going to happen at this point in the life of the current games.

Community Bulletin Boards
Obviously linked to social criteria. I accept every time unless there’s a breach of the rules or the noticeboard is completely busted.

Gazebos / Pavilions
Usually fine unless they are flimsy nonsense, broken or on land that makes them ineligible.

Memorial Benches
Absolutely have to be linked to a notable person with supporting evidence. If you make me Google the named individual, then you are probably going to get skipped.

Unique Playground Equipment
Not unless separated by a fence or a reasonable distance (like ~30m maybe?)

The little free libraries was a big one that got me curious. Like you said on public land is one thing, the ones on single family property I feel should be accepted. As long as it’s accessable by sidewalk or what have you. At the same point though If they were acceptable I would make one to put in front yard just so I had a poke stop at home, which in my opinion is abuse of the system which makes me understand why they are not acceptable. :upside_down_face:

  1. Named trailed markers, or trail markers that are backed up with proof that they are official, I usually say yes.
  2. I am not a fan. For me they generally don’t meet any of the key requirements.
  3. Same as 2.
  4. General no no, for safety reasons. Are Golf Courses for playing Golf or Playing Pogo?
  5. Entrance Signs / Maps at Entrance Signs, potentially yes.
  6. Same as 4.
  7. Same as 5.
  8. Generally no. If they are not permanent fixtures, I would generally avoid.
  9. Potentially yes. Needs good backstory.
  10. If they are sponsored Murals from the Business, I would say yes.
  11. I am between 8 and 9. Needs to be permanent.
  12. Possibly yes, but most likely no. Need to understand how it would meet the general criteria.
  13. Most likely yes, providing it’s publicly accessible and safe.
  14. Park Rules, Most likely no. Info Boards… Most likely yes.
  15. If it’s official, I would lean to yes.
  16. Assuming it’s not on SFPRP and is official and recognised, and not installed specifically for Pogo, I could say yes.
  17. Most likely yes, providing it meets the criteria and is publicly accessible.
  18. Generally, I would say yes, providing it’s publicly accessible, or accessible to residents and not on, for example, School Grounds.
  19. If the dedication is for notable local community leaders (as an example) most likely yes. I would say no for “In loving memory of Joe Bloggs who planted a tree in his sleep”.
  20. If the playground equipment is not in an enclosed space with other playground equipment, I would say yes. If they are grouped in an enclosure, the whole playground should be nominated.

Ok, what have I won?

It’s not so much the abuse aspect (though that is a factor). The single family private residential property rule is one of the more rigid and strictly enforced rules in part due to previous lawsuits.

I get that, but I think that so much has changed since the mad days of early PG, both in terms of player numbers and the available options for landowners to restrict the map, that it’s now incredibly unlikely to happen.

I just cannot imagine a homeowner putting out an LFL and then getting annoyed that some additional people are pausing by it (not of my land and not for very long) to play a videogame.

But it is what it is.

It’s hard to say that LFLs on private property are OK but everything else isn’t.

You could say OK, LFLs are OK and murals on exterior boundaries are OK, but why stop at those?

What happens when the landowner sells and someone else moves in, keeps the POI but doesn’t want clusters of people hanging around?

There’s no clear dividing point, except not allowing SFPRP at all.

I guess that the reason they feel different is that LFLs specifically encourage strangers to come to that point, to pause, peruse the books, take one, drop one off etc..

There’s a transactional intent, unlike a mural which is intended to be viewed – possibly from a distance – and that’s all.

But sure, it would be nigh impossible to make exceptions to the SFRP rule on that basis. As I say, I do accept the rule, it just doesn’t feel right to me.

The exceptions that are allowed don’t feel right to me. In front of someone’s house is in front of someone’s house, regardless of whether a sidewalk passes in front of their home and the LFL is on the street side. Also, a second doorbell doesn’t make someone’s front porch a common area, as was decided on one appeal here. And renting out a room over your garage doesn’t suddenly turn your home into an apartment building.

But that also feeds into the private / no access / military rulings.

To be honest, I can’t really get my head around these two rules coexisting:

“Stops on SFPRP are ineligible, as owners might get upset and not use the tools to block stops but instead go to lawyers and / or the press.”

“Stops on military grounds are eligible because soldiers and their families can play and they definitely won’t encourage members of the public to try and gain access.”

I’m probably being slightly unfair with the way I’m presenting those, but that’s how it feels :smiley:

Someone with the authority for Military grounds that do not want wayspots can request and get the entire area geo-blocked. They could easily find out what is happening by asking 1 of the personal that are playing the game.

1 SFPRP with 1 wayspot is less likely to know what is happening and there is a good chance that they will not feel confident enough to approach people to ask so they are much more likely to approach authorities to state “A large group keep hanging about at the front of my house”.

Remember it is only certain “None Active” locations on Military Grounds that are eligible.

Not sure if it’s still the same but in the past if visiting the gatehouse took your vehicles Registration Number and asked who you was visiting then checked you went in the right direction.

Another case of “Accessible to those that have the right to be there”.

That’s not quite my scenario. Mine would be ‘pokemon go players arrested for trying to enter military grounds’ which absolutely has the potential to hit the press in some format (though perhaps only the local newspapers would find it newsworthy these days!)

If there were a group of kids hanging outside my house on the pavement, I wouldn’t blink. Not least because it happens fairly often as I live near a school, but because it isn’t my land and I have no right to tell people they can’t gather on the public pavement, especially if I’ve placed a little free library at that exact spot.

I just think that there’s a little common sense missing with this rule, but again, I don’t have a better system. :man_shrugging: